Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Long-Distance Dedication

I love music (who doesn’t, really?). If you ever pull up next to me at a traffic light you’ll probably see me dancing and singing along to the radio, looking like a fool and not caring that you and a bunch of other people are watching. Maybe I’ll give you a good laugh that brightens your day, who knows?

I think music is a very powerful gift that touches our souls. I love words, I’m a sucker for a well-written line, so a song with a beautiful melody and intelligent lyrics is heavenly to me. Maybe that’s why the book of Psalms is one of my favorites in the Bible. The words are so exquisitely written; I can’t wait to hear the accompanying melodies one day. Maybe David will take out his harp and sing for us.

Have you ever been in a certain mood, unable to really fully express it yourself, and you hear a song that perfectly captures what you’re feeling? It’s like the song was written especially for you.

There are a couple of songs that have been “my” songs the last year or so. One is “If You Want Me To” by Ginny Owens; the other is “I Still Believe” by Jeremy Camp. I cannot tell you the number of times that I’ve been discouraged, needing some encouragement when one of those songs came on the radio. It’s totally God.


It happened again tonight on my drive home from work. I wasn’t really feeling discouraged, but feeling stressed about work and some other things going on. There are certain answers I’m seeking and God hasn’t revealed them to me, and that’s been frustrating to deal with. But on my way home I was listening to the radio and “If You Want Me To” came on, as if God had phoned in a long-distance dedication just for Lisa. Pretty awesome.

No comments: