Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Going to the Doctor

I really don't like going to the doctor. I haven't had any horrifically bad experiences at the doctor's office, but it's no picnic, either. Sitting in a cold exam room waiting for the doctor for a half hour while I'm wearing a paper gown is not my idea of fun. The last time I saw a doctor was a couple of years ago when I had a bad sinus infection, and then it was at a doc in the box, not my regular M.D.

BUT...I've known that I need to visit my doctor every year for an annual exam. I've been putting that off for about four years now. (I know! I should be ashamed for waiting so long.) Finally, after a lot of loving nagging from some dear friends, I called today and made an appointment.

Naturally, I figured (hoped) the doctor would be all booked up til the fall. But God gets the last laugh, because the doctor had an opening next Wednesday morning! And his office is conveniently located right down the street from my office, so my list of excuses for not going to the doctor is rapidly diminishing.

It's not just the nagging from my friends that motivated me to go to the doctor. As I've reflected on Romans 12:1 (as mentioned in my earlier blog about sacrifice), it's convicted me that not only am I to present a sacrifice to God, but I should present the BEST sacrifice I can. And though my body's in pretty decent shape, I know that neglecting seeing my doctor is NOT taking care of this sacrifice for God.

This week I've also been reminded of how precious life is. I've heard news of tragic sudden deaths, received prayer requests from people who have sick family members. I also received an e-mail today from a friend of mine from college who told me about the car accident that she and her husband were involved in a couple of weeks ago. Their car was hit on the front side by a drunk driver. It was a miracle that they walked away without a scratch; they could have easily been killed. Life changes so quickly; sometimes it ends so quickly. Going to the doctor won't guarantee that I'll live to be 100. But I do feel some responsibility to take care of this temple that God's given me.

Which is why I'll be hanging out at the doctor's office next Wednesday. Don't worry, I'll spare you the gory details...

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." I Cor. 6:19

No comments: