Monday, January 03, 2005

The Weather, It Is A-Changin'

While the calendar says it’s January, a step outside seems to prove otherwise. Here in Montgomery, temperatures are hovering in the low to mid 70s. It was about 30 degrees cooler a little over a week ago—go figure. It’s amazing to me how quickly the weather can change.

Just look at the devastation of the sudden earthquake and subsequent tsunamis that swept across Asia last week. One minute the ocean is peaceful, placid; the next minute, a huge tidal wave is churning onto land and demolishing everything in its path. Thousands lose their lives. Many who survive instantly find themselves homeless, orphaned, devoid of any possessions.

While it’s a tragic situation, it also speaks to the power of God. Even the apostles were amazed at Jesus’ command of nature—in Matthew 8:27, after Jesus calms the storm, they remark, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

The remarkable speed with which even the weather seems to change is indicative of how quickly God can cause change in other areas. So many times I get bogged down in a seemingly endless season, thinking that certain situations or emotions are never going to change. Then like a sudden storm, God moves and rearranges my landscape.

The seasons of our life DO change, sometimes slowly, sometimes with lightning-fast speed. It helps me to remember that these seasons WILL change, that they are only temporary and that change is around the corner. The challenges that I face today may last a day, may last a week or months or even years, but they won’t last forever.

This also reminds me that because life is so short and because the unexpected can happen, I need to make the most of each day that God gives me. I waste so much time wanting my current season of life to change, instead of appreciating it or taking advantage of it. There’s a reason for the season that we’re all in right now. God knows exactly how long to keep us in it, and when to bring about change in our lives. Trust that the One who knows when to bring rain and when to bring sun to the Earth knows just what your life needs every day.

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

Lisa,
I was going to use the following in a blog, and may still, but it fits so well with what you have said here. We need to trust God with the changes in our life.

I received this in an email yesterday.
_______________________
A new minister was walking with an older, more seasoned minister in the garden one day. Feeling a bit insecure about what god had for him to do, he was asking the older preacher for some advice.

The older preacher walked up to a rosebush and handed the young preacher a rosebud and told him to open it without tearing off any petals.

The young preacher looked in disbelief at the older preacher and was trying to figure out what a rosebud could possibly have to do with his wanting to know the will of God for his life and ministry. But because of his great respect for the older preacher, he proceeded to try to unfold the rose whil keeping every petal intact. It wasn't long before he realized how impossible this was to do.

Noticing the younger preacher's inability to unfold the rosebud without tearing it, the older preacher began to recite the following poem.

It is only a tiny rosebud,
A flower of God's design;
But I cannot unfold the petals
With these clumsy hands of mine.

The secret of unfolding flowers
Is not known to such as I.
GOD opens this flower so easily,
But in my hands they die.

If I cannot unfold a rosebud,
This flower of God's design,
Then how can I have the wisdom
To unfold this life of mine

So I'll trust in God for leading
Each moment of my day.
I will look to God for guidance
In each step of the way

The path that lies before me,
Only my Lord knows.
I'll trust God to unfold the moments,
Just as He unfolds the rose.