Wednesday, February 23, 2005

A Recurring Theme

My prayers vary from day to day, depending on what's going on in my life. Some are short and sweet, emergency-type prayers ("Help, Lord!") while others are filled with thanksgiving. More often than not, they're also filled with requests and petitions for myself and on behalf of other people.

While I ask for a variety of blessings for my life--good health, peace, patience, etc.--my prayer requests seem to boil down to one central request, wisdom. I almost daily ask for wisdom about pretty much every aspect of my life: my job, my relationships, finances, service to God and to others. You name it, I need wisdom in every area.

So much of Proverbs speaks about the benefits of seeking wisdom:

"and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding." Proverbs 2:3-5

"Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or swerve from them. Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you. Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding. Esteem her, and she will exalt you; embrace her, and she will honor you." Proverbs 4:5-8

"Choose my [wisdom] instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold, for wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare to her." Proverbs 8:10-11

"Listen to my [wisdom] instruction and be wise; do not ignore it. Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my doors, waiting at my doorway. For whoever finds me finds life and receives favor from the Lord. But whoever fails to find me harms himself; all who hate me love death." Proverbs 8:33-36

There are many more verses that speak to the need for wisdom, but you get the point. Wisdom will always be on my "permanent" prayer request list. I think the more I receive it, the more I recognize the need for even more of it in my life.

Are there any recurring themes in your own prayer requests? What do you find yourself continually praying for?

1 comment:

Susie said...

I wish I could say that wisdom is a recurrent theme in my prayer life. I'll strive to put it there. I have two recurrent topics in my prayers:
1. PATIENCE
2. Keep my family healthy and safe from harm.