Thursday, March 03, 2005

Bringing into Existence

"...Abraham believed in the God who brings the dead back to life and who brings into existence what didn't exist before." Romans 4:17b, emphasis mine

What an amazing reminder! Somehow I think I've been fooled into thinking that all of God's creative handiwork was done in six days, and that He's been resting ever since. What limited vision I have!

At work right now I'm in the middle of a project that seems like it will never end. One of my jobs is to write for, edit, and publish a trade magazine. For the past couple of years, I've been doing all the design work for it as well, but now we're in the process of finding a designer to handle the design work so I can focus on content. It will be a really good thing when it's all said and done, but since nothing's been finalized yet and we're running past our deadline, frustration is setting in for me. I want the end to be in sight! I want to see the end result, to hold the glossy magazine in my hands and see the pictures and words laid out on each page.

Same with my life--I'm a big dreamer, I would say, but at the same time I often struggle to imagine God actually fulfilling my dreams. If I can't see it immediately in front of me, I sometimes assume it's not going to take place. Which is an extreme lack of faith on my part.

There have been times where I've prayed over situations and for opportunities for many months, years even, with seemingly little to no results. And then "all of a sudden" God brings into existence that which didn't exist before. My faith is bolstered. I give God the glory (which He might not have received had He fulfilled my prayers in my timing rather than His). So why don't I always remember this? I'm learning this lesson, but it's taking time....

1 comment:

Donna G said...

Great thoughts! I don't know which is harder for me to fathom, that His ways are not our ways, or His time is not my time.