Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Stealing Time

You know that song "Time Is on My Side"? Some days I feel like that's the OPPOSITE of my life. I feel like I'm in a life-size version of Beat the Clock, running to and fro trying to get things done as quickly and efficiently as possible.

And yet there are times when life seems to move in slow motion. Times when I feel like I have all the time in the world. Each day has 24 hours, but sometimes they fly by and other days they lazily drift by.

Why is my sense of time so skewed? Why do I feel an urgency to complain to others about how someone treated me or how the waitress got my order wrong, but I don't feel a sense of urgency to share the Gospel with my co-workers? Why do I make time to watch my favorite TV shows, but find myself too busy to make time to spend with my family?

Jesus said in John 10:10 that the thief (Satan) came to steal, kill, and destroy. One of the things that Satan is trying to steal is time. Time is a great weapon for him, particularly when our priorities are screwed up. We elevate the immediate to the status of the important, and that's not always how it should be. We focus on what's in front of us, what we're going to wear to work tomorrow or eat for dinner, but we spend so little time dwelling on where we'll be and what we'll be doing for eternity.

O God, open my eyes and give me wisdom to see what's truly important, what needs to be taken care of now and what needs to wait. Help me to put my priorities in order the way that You want me to. Give me a sense of urgency to share Your truths with those around me. Don't let me waste any more opportunities to show love to others. Teach me to live for eternity.

1 comment:

Donna G said...

Guilty too! I can find time to watch 24, but can't seem to find the time to call my Mom everyday, or visit at the hospital, yada yada yada.

Satan is the great deceiver.