Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Fools Rush In

I don't like to rush very often. That's why I get up so early in the morning when I could just take a half hour to get ready for work--I hate feeling rushed. Not to mention that I like to have time for the caffeine from that first cup of coffee in the morning to kick in before I attempt to do anything requiring great thought, like making sure my socks match.

When it comes to making decisions, sometimes I rush and sometimes I don't. It depends on the circumstance. Typically, I can make "big" decisions fairly easily. But deciding which dessert to order at a restaurant--now, for some reason, that takes a lot of contemplation.

The older I get the more I'm realizing that decision-making, for the most part, is not something to be rushed. I mean the big decisions in life, like whether to accept a job offer, or even the not-so-big decisions. Really, every decision can have an impact, some greater than others, on my life.

Lately I've felt spiritually lonely; that's the best way I can describe it. It's been a while since I've been in a group Bible study, and I've really missed that. I haven't been getting together with any friends to study and pray together. I can really sense that void. I've been praying the last few weeks about it. Normally, I would rush right out and try to find someone to study with or join an ongoing study group, but this time I'm sitting still.

Today a friend told me that her small group is about to start a new Bible study in August, and she invited me to be part of it. It definitely seems like an answer to my prayers. And yet, uncharacteristic of me, I told her that I needed to pray for confirmation before I committed to it.

And so I'm praying, and trusting that God will give me the answer sooner rather than later. Certainly, a Bible study is a GOOD thing to be part of--but it may not be the study He wants me to be part of at this time. Maybe God wants me to remain in this spiritual loneliness so that I totally depend on Him for my meat. We shall see.

2 comments:

DJG said...

I admire your restraint. Had I been praying for a group and got invited, I would jump in...many times to my regret!

Trust God, he will show you the way!

Rhonda said...

Lisa,

God will give you the answer that is best for you!

You have a lot of wisdom to interject in to a group Bible study. I know that your presence would be a blessing and encouragement to all if God should lead you to join this Bible study!

I admire your dependence on God to lead you in all your decisions! What a great example your actions are!

Rhonda