Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Thankful

Dear God,

As I see pictures and hear stories of the devastation caused by Katrina, I am reminded of how truly blessed I am. Please don't let me lose sight of all that You've given me. Don't let me become ungrateful and take Your gifts for granted.

When I open my power bill, let me be thankful that I have electricity.

When I pay higher prices for gas, let me be thankful that I have transportation, and that my car is not buried underwater.

When a phone call interrupts my dinner, let me be thankful that I have phone service.

When I mow my grass, let me be thankful to have a yard to mow, and a house that is intact.

When I complain that I have "nothing to wear", remind of how truly dumb that statement is, and let me be thankful that I have a closet full of clothes.

Whenever I'm tempted to wish for what I don't have, remind me of all that I DO have, that You have graciously given me. Let me be thankful that I am safe, that my family and friends are safe, and that all blessings come from You.

Most of all, let me be thankful that this world is only a temporary dwelling place. I am going to a place where there are no hurricanes, no flooding, no power outages, no gas shortages, no financial struggles, no looters, no losses.

Your power was shown in the awesome spectacle of the hurricane. Now let Your glory be shown. Let those suffering see Your compassion through us. Use us as Your hands, Your feet. Feed the hungry through us. Clothe the naked through us. Shelter the homeless through us. Dry tears and give hugs through us.

You have blessed me so much, Lord. Let me be a blessing to those in need.

Then the King will say to those on the right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.' "Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?' And the King will tell them, 'I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!' Matt. 25:34-40

In Jesus' name,
Amen