Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Secret of Humility

In my Bible study tonight, we discussed the importance of humility in approaching God. We're reading through Secrets of the Secret Place by Bob Sorge. In chapter 12, Sorge refers to humility as "the foundation of all prayer."

Quite frankly, I had never really thought about the need for humility in prayer. But when you get right down to it, approaching God in prayer is admitting that I need Him, that I can't live on my own.

Conversely, not spending time in prayer with God is a sign of pride. Sorge says, "Prayerlessness is the first sign of prideful independence. We begin to trim back on our secret time with God when we're feeling great about ourselves, energetic and optimistic about our future, and confident about the path we're taking. It's the first sign that we're getting full of ourselves."

When I'm broken, humbled, disappointed or distressed, I earnestly come to God. I realize that He's my only hope. But how sad it is that so many times when things are going my way, I rush through my time with God, or some days skip it altogether.

When I am humble before God, that means that I get out of God's way and let Him work. I am then able to more clearly see Him working:

The humble will see their God at work and be glad. Let all who seek God's help live in joy. Psalm 69:32


If I truly felt a physical, tangible need for God every single day, I wouldn't dare skip my prayer time with Him. I want to feel that deep hunger for Him that is insatiable, not satisfied by anything but time with Him. I want to humble myself before Him.

1 comment:

Donna G said...

So true and so needed by me. I sometimes get the "Be Lifted up" in front of the "humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord".