Saturday, July 28, 2007

Praise Preceding Deliverance

As I read through the Old Testament, sometimes I am stunned by the Israelites' lack of faith in trusting a God who delivered them time and time again. It seems that there are so many stories of God rescuing them from their enemies, only to have them doubt His ability to save the next time trouble comes their way. But then I read other stories of God's chosen people humbling themselves, seeking His favor and fully trusting Him for His deliverance.

The other day I read the story of Jehoshphat, king of Judah. With Moabites, Ammonites and Meunites rising up to make war against Judah, rather than panicking or trying to bribe his enemies, Jehoshaphat led his citizens in a time of fasting and seeking the Lord. Realizing that the little army of Judah was too small and powerless to overcome the massive army of enemies coming toward them, Jehoshophat turned to the only One who could deliver them--God Almighty. Through a message from a man named Jahaziel, God promised deliverance from their enemies in a way that the army of Judah would not even have to fight. I'll pick up the Scripture there:

After consulting the people, Jehoshaphat appointed men to sing to the Lord and to praise him for the splendor of his holiness as they went out at the head of the army, saying: "Give thanks to the Lord, for his love endures forever." As they began to sing and praise, the Lord set ambushes against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir who were invading Judah, and they were defeated. The men of Ammon and Moab rose up against the men from Mount Seir to destroy and annihilate them. After they finished slaughtering the men from Seir, they helped to destroy one another. When the men of Judah came to the place that overlooks the desert and looked toward the vast army, they saw only dead bodies lying on the ground; no one had escaped. So Jehoshaphat and his men went to carry off their plunder, and they found among them a great amount of equipment and clothing and also articles of value--more than they could take away. There was so much plunder that it took three days to collect it. On the fourth day they assembled in the Valley of Beracah, where they praised the Lord. This is why it is called the Valley of Beracah to this day. Then, led by Jehoshaphat, all the men of Judah and Jerusalem returned joyfully to Jerusalem, for the Lord had given them cause to rejoice over their enemies. They entered Jerusalem and went to the temple of the Lord with harps and lutes and trumpets. The fear of God came upon all the kingdoms of the countries when they heard how the Lord had fought against the enemies of Israel. And the kingdom of Jehoshaphat was at peace, for his God had given him rest on every side. (II Chronicles 20:21-30, emphasis mine)

I find it interesting that the first group of people sent out ahead of Judah's army was a group of men who sang and praised God, and that when they sang, that is when God took action against Judah's enemies. They praised God for victory before it even occurred, and I wonder if God would have brought about deliverance if they had not praised Him.

Now I think about my own reaction to God delivering me from my enemies. Like the Israelites, I have times where I trust God completely, and then I have times where, despite all the times He has rescued me, my faith wavers and I wonder if He'll come through for me yet again. This story of Judah's praise of God preceding victory teaches me to give Him praise at all times--not just after He's brought me through a difficult time, but even in the midst of that difficult time, when I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I know someone who often thanks God for things yet undone. Rather than asking God to "please" take action, he begins by thanking Him in advance for taking that action. I'd never heard anyone else pray that way before, and through the years as I've heard him pray in that manner, it's encouraged me to thank God for what He's promised to do, even before He does it. I find that my attitude and stress level are so much calmer when I'm focused on praising God and trusting Him for the victory, even in the darkest of times.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sometimes it is so difficult to remember that the nature of God is good. That He is the good Father. This reminds me about when Jesus said that men Father's being evil give good gifts and contrasted God's gifting as so much better. This is timely for me as I need to begin thanking God for my next job/career move. It's been really difficult for me to have faith and patience. Now, this is really challenging. To go ahead and thank Him for that next opportunity. Of course, my attitude must be that it it not all about me. That His gifting is both for my well being and His glory.