Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Curse


Why, oh why, SI?

I'm not normally a superstitious person. I've had black cats walk in front of me and I've walked under ladders and stepped on cracks and my mother's back is not broken. I'll ride an elevator to the 13th floor at 1:13 on the 13th day of the month without hesitation.

But whenever I see a certain national publication with a reputation for inducing a curse on its coverboys and girls featuring Tide players or their coach on its cover, I can't help but cringe. I remember just a couple of years ago, the cover proclaiming "Bama Is Back." Yeah. Thanks a lot, SI.

Of course, deep down I know that SI had nothing to do with Prothro breaking his leg or five straight losses to Auburn or Shula's Tide coaching career going up in flames. Still, all the hoopla surrounding Saban's arrival in T-town and the mile-high expectations accompanying this season make me more than a little nervous.

So, SI, please go sic your curse on someone else. The Tide has enough pressure as it is.

No comments: