Thursday, August 16, 2007

Royal Orders

This morning I was reading in Nehemiah about some of the Levites who served in the temple at Jerusalem:

The chief officer of the Levites in Jerusalem was Uzzi son of Bani, son of Hashabiah, son of Mattaniah, son of Mica, a descendant of Asaph, whose family served as singers at God's Temple. They were under royal orders, which determined their daily activities. (Nehemiah 11:22-23, emphasis mine)

As servants in the temple, their daily schedules were not self-imposed, but rather dictated by royal orders. I don't know if they eagerly submitted to the day's duties, or if they had moments of inward grumbling and reluctance to follow someone else's plans for their day.

This verse reminded me that we, too, as servants of the King of kings are under His royal orders. We should let our day's activities be determined by and centered around His desires for us that day. I'll admit that it is SO easy to let myself fall into the trap of thinking that it's my day to control or determine my steps. It's easy to "do my own thing" and fit in God's plans when it's seemingly convenient for me. How foolish it is to get into that mindset!

O Sovereign Lord, help me to remember that this is YOUR day. Help me to remember that You are God, and I am Your servant. Help me to eagerly submit to whatever plans You have for me today, and to trust You that they are what's best for me.

No comments: