Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Would You Like Some Cheese with that Whine?

I've just about had my fill of childlike behavior today. No, not from our Wednesday night class, which was much better behaved compared to last week. (Of course, it helped that we only had two kids tonight instead of our usual six or seven. And it was our last night of the quarter, hooray!)

The childlike behavior I'm referring to belongs to a couple of my co-workers. They've been talking behind each other's backs, whining and complaining, tattling on each other. Really childish stuff. I'm friends with them, so I feel a little stuck in the middle. I encouraged one of them to take the high road, be the bigger person. Of course, there's no fun in that! It's much more entertaining to think of ways to act like a two year-old than to act like an adult.

Both parties involved like to have a certain amount of drama focused on them. They get bent out of shape easily. It doesn't take much to get them riled up. Yes, it does make for a certain amount of entertainment at our office...but that show gets old quickly. I for one am tired of it.

I'm not sure how to exert good influence on them. Should I ignore their childish ways? I've tried reasoning with one of them but so far it doesn't seem to have done any good. How do you think Jesus would handle this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Solidary confinement (my new office) has been so nice. Just yesterday, one of the girls from the old office was filling me in on the latest goings on and I just laughed and said, "There is just no drama when you're by yourself." I love interaction with others but there will always be a little conflict. The way I get to work now... I go see people when I want to and keep to myself when I want to.

I don't know what Jesus would've done. Sometimes, I think I understand Jesus less instead of more.

Donna G said...

I have worked with those people...

Something about working on commission makes many of those arguments go away.... I like that.

Lynn said...

This is something that I do NOT miss about working in an office with women. There was always some drama it seemed. There was always someone mad at someone. It was like jr high stuff most of the time. I just tried to keep my own "nose" clean and then I knew I didn't have to worry about something being said about me. Or as my mom used to say, "If you can't say something nice...." There you have it!