Monday, October 01, 2007

Something Else to Be Grateful For

Last week a couple of co-workers and I attended a kickoff luncheon for the Arthritis Foundation's annual Jingle Bell Run, which our office has participated in over the past few years. As we enjoyed the free lunch at Carrabba's, we heard several stories of people who lived with arthritis every day. Despite its reputation as an affliction for the elderly, people of all ages--including children--can be diagnosed with arthritis.

One story in particular that I remember was given by a man who used to be an avid runner. Then, in his thirties, he was afflicted with arthritis. Today, while he is still fairly mobile compared to a lot of others, he cannot run like he used to.

It's amazing the things I so often take for granted, including my health. At lunch that day, I was once again reminded that my health is a gift from God that is not to be taken for granted, but to be used for His glory.

So, if you're having one of those days where everything seems to be going wrong and you struggle to find something to be grateful for, be grateful for your health. Thank God that you can get up out of bed, unassisted, that you can dress yourself, that you can walk up stairs, that you can see where you're going, that you can hear your telephone ringing...there is so much to be grateful for.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Amen. I have arthritis in my back from an injury in a car accident when I was 16. Most days I can deal with it. Some days it's awful. But even when it hurts the most, I remember it could be worse.