Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Thank God for Peter

If I had to identify one of Jesus' apostles that I most closely relate to, I'd have to go with Peter. Impulsive, outspoken, stick-his-foot-in-his-mouth-at-times Peter.

Yesterday was one of those days I wish I could do over, as I found myself tripping up time after time, saying the wrong thing at the wrong time (a result of speaking before really considering my words). I'm thankful that I was able to pray and ask for forgiveness and receive it, and that today is a fresh start, although, by day's end, I will find myself once again having sinned in some way and in need of God's grace.

I'm also thankful that the Bible reveals the human side of the apostles, particularly Peter. While, like me, he had plenty of faults, he was also used in incredible ways by God. He was willing to be used by God, and that is really the only pre-requisite to God using someone in a mighty way for His glory.

I have to admit that there are times when I'd rather God just leave me alone and let me do my own thing for a little while. As I get older and a little bit wiser, those occasions are fewer and farther between, but I don't always have the zeal and passion for God and His kingdom that I should.

How thankful I am that God uses messed-up sinners like me and Peter and David and Paul and a host of others to accomplish His purposes. I don't have to be perfect--thank goodness--I just have to be willing to let Him use me.

No comments: