Monday, December 17, 2007

Anniversary

Yesterday marked my five year anniversary of working at my current job. Since graduating college, I'd worked for two previous employers, but this is my longest stint at any one place thus far.

The way that I got this current job was totally God-arranged. In the summer of 2002, I knew that I was ready for a job change. I'd sent out resumes and went on a couple of interviews, but neither job was right for me. Entering fall, which was the busiest time of the year for me, I decided to put my job search on hold for a few months until things quieted down.

Little did I know what God had in store for me. Turns out that one of my friends from church was leaving her job to get married and move away, and she suggested that I submit my resume for her job. I did, not really expecting to hear anything. I was called in for an interview, and a couple of weeks went by without anything happening. I'd pretty much written off my chances when my friend's boss called and offered me the job.

And here I am, five years later. I have been so blessed to have a job that I enjoy--and on top of that, to work with people who I truly enjoy. We are like family to each other, which of course means some family squabbles from time to time, but mostly a lot of love and friendship.

Having been in that job for so long now, it's easy to take it for granted. When I talk to people who hate their jobs or their co-workers or both, or who have lost their jobs, I am reminded that God has blessed me tremendously in this current job. I need that reminder every now and then, especially when I start to complain.

No comments: