Friday, December 07, 2007

Another Wake Up Call

With my mother's recent hospitalization, the fact that life is short has certainly been at the forefront of my mind lately. Today brought another reminder with the news that one of our employees had passed away this morning from a sudden heart attack. This person worked out in the field and we would only see her in the office a couple of times a year and at our staff retreats and Christmas parties. I didn't know her well at all; I'm not sure we've ever carried on a conversation longer than "Hi". But her sudden death once again reminded us all that life is unexpected and that we cannot take tomorrow for granted.

I'm quite adept at procrastinating, but more and more I'm being confronted by things that I've put off doing that I need to do. Some of it is of a financial matter, such as getting a will in order. Some of it's organizational, some of it household projects to tackle.

Then there are projects that are more relational in nature. Some of it involves finally letting go of the past and not dwelling on memories. I'll admit that's been the toughest part, letting go of certain dreams that I've had for a long time. That's not to say that God can't make even my most far-fetched dreams come true, but I think in some cases it's time to let go of my own dreams and embrace those that He has in store for me--which of course are always far greater than what I can dream for myself.

Remember that life is short, and that God intends for us to make the most of every moment He gives us. Enjoy your time with your family and your friends, order dessert, take a nap on Sunday afternoon, read good books, listen to good music, watch the sun set.

In other words, live!

No comments: