Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Praise Despite

Last night I was jotting some goals for 2008 in my journal. I don't necessarily make New Year's resolutions, but rather try to set some concrete goals to work toward. These are goals that I feel that God has put on my heart for this particular time.

After writing down one of the goals, I started wondering how on earth I'd accomplish this goal. By all outward appearances, if the status quo remains, that particular goal seems unattainable. But of course, I was too busy focusing on how I could make things happen rather than on what God can do!

As I was pondering this goal, the following verses from Habakkuk came to me:

Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD,

I will be joyful in God my Savior. (Habakkuk 3:17-18, emphasis mine)

I've read these verses several times over the past few weeks, and my thoughts keep returning to them. I love the attitude that Habakkuk displays, that despite troubles surrounding him, he rejoices in the Lord. His outlook is not determined by how much food he can harvest or how much livestock is in the barns. His outlook is based on knowing that God is his Savior, and that He will rescue him.

While I feel that 2007 was a landmark year for me in learning more about God's sovereignty and depending on Him more than ever before, I still have far to go. I'm realizing that I can't accomplish any of my goals without leaning on God. And I don't have to wait for my goals to be met before rejoicing in what He's doing. Even when I can't see the fruit of His work, that doesn't mean that God is not working. I want to focus on praising Him every day, no matter what the circumstances are.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Reflection is hard. Setting goals is hard too. Seems anything of real benefit requires some work.....drat.