Friday, February 08, 2008

Holding Our Breath

It is an easy thing to forget that God operates on a timetable that is vastly different from us. Even though He reminds us that, with Him, a day is like a thousand years, I tend to forget that.

I enjoy watching makeover shows, whether it's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" or "What Not to Wear". Most of these shows have a transformation that takes place in a week or less. I like seeing the "before" and "after" shots, watching the ratty wardrobe and run-down house be transformed into something beautiful and polished. And naturally I want transformation in my own life to be instantaneous. But alas, that's not to be.

What if everything in life--not just the good, but the bad as well--had instantaneous results? What if my nose indeed grew every time I lied? What if I got a speeding ticket every time my speedometer clicked over the legal limit? Oh, I definitely want mercy and patience when I should reap the consequences of bad behavior--I just don't want to have to wait for the good things!

Part of the frustration of waiting is not being able to see evidence of change. But there is so much going on underneath the surface that we cannot always see. Much like a seed planted into the ground, it takes a while for the roots to take hold and the stem to push through the dirt before we can see growth.

I'm reminded in II Corinthians 4:16 that the transformative process is taking place daily: Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

Whether I realize it or not, the makeover is underway. Every once in a while I get a glimpse in a dim mirror of how I've changed, a sneak peak at the woman God is transforming me into, but this is a lifelong process of change. Not until I am with Him face to face will I be perfected. And so the metamorphosis continues.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very nice couple at complimented me at church Sunday and we were talking about how long it had been since my divorce. The lady mentioned that when we look back at where we were and where we are, things that were so terrible when we were going through them, aren't so bad.

I guess she's right. I had some emotionally tough times that are difficult to remember fully now. Dare I say that it was worth all that pain to become the person I will one day be?

Kelley said...

God is good. Aren't we glad that we don't stay the same!!!!