Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Behind the Silence

I have had such a bad case of writers' block over the past month. I think that part of the problem lies in the fact that so much of my job requires me to be creative, to write and design and think creatively, and by the time I get home I'm often feeling brainfried. It's frustrating because I really love creative writing and sharing what God is teaching me, but lately I feel like I haven't had much to say on this blog. It's not that He's not teaching me, but I don't feel led to share some of the lessons I'm learning just yet.

I've also had a lot on my mind lately, namely thoughts of making some big changes in my life. For the most part I really do enjoy my job, and especially enjoy the people I work with, but I've been contemplating a change in careers--which would most likely bring about a change in cities . Of course, it could be another five or ten years before I move, but I nevertheless feel like God is preparing me to make these changes in the not-too-distant future.

Obviously I've been praying for God's guidance through this contemplation of various life-changing decisions, but I've yet to get a clear answer, which of course means He's not ready to tell me yet. I really wish I knew one way or the other; I don't like this sense of being in limbo regarding the future. I could easily be frustrated by this seeming lack of activity, but I am trying to look at it instead as a period of rest. Nothing God does--including His silence--is without purpose. I think He's wanting me to rest and abide in Him as He prepares to move me (whether physically or just metaphorically) in ways that are thrilling and nervewracking at the same time.

Perhaps soon I will have changes to report, and hopefully I'll soon have more insights to share from God's Word. In the meantime, I'm trying to appreciate the silence and enjoy it while it lasts.

2 comments:

That Girl said...

Be careful what you wish for... that's all I've got to say!

Anonymous said...

and be careful not to assume that you can fill the silence of God. I sometimes rush to fill the voic only to realize...He wasn't quite telling me what I thought I heard.