Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lifting Up Days

Most times in my morning prayer time I lift up the upcoming day to God--my to-do list, worries, deadlines, attitudes, etc. Recently the thought came to me that not only did I need to lift up my day at its start, but at its close as well.

That may seem rather odd, to lift up in prayer that which has already been done. But it's not lifting up that day's activities--rather, it's lifting up my tendencies to dwell on the day rather than on preparing for the next day. I'm one of those people that has a hard time resisting the temptation to look back. I tend to overanalyze situations, replaying conversations in my head, thinking "I should have said that" or "I could have done this better". It's a terrible habit to have, and one that often expends a lot of energy while accomplishing very little.

So I think it's fitting that I take time to turn over each day to God as it ends. I can take time to reflect on my day, then turn it over to Him, recognizing that what's done is done and that He alone has the power to turn even my most embarrassing, agonizing and depressing days into fodder for good days ahead. Like the apostle Paul, I want to focus on what lies ahead:

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:12-14)

No comments: