Friday, August 01, 2008

Mission Submission

My bags are (mostly) packed, all my chores are done, and soon I'll be turning in early for the night so I can get up before the crack of dawn tomorrow and head to the airport. It's hard to believe that after all these months of anticipation, tomorrow begins the adventure of my first mission trip. I'm feeling a combination of excitement and slight apprehension, mainly because I don't know yet exactly what my role will be there at the medical clinic. However, I have a feeling that once I get down there, check out the lay of the land and get my job assignments, I'll be more at ease.

A couple of weeks ago at our last mission team meeting, our mission leader asked us to share something that we hoped to accomplish on this trip. My answer was that I anticipated learning to be more submissive and more dependent on God. I'll be thrust into an unknown environment with people and customs that are new to me. I may get asked to do some chores that I don't particularly want to (or that intimidate me). After all, we'll be working in a medical clinic, and my medical knowlege stems largely from copious amounts of "ER", "MASH", and "Grey's Anatomy". I have a feeling that this week is going to provide plenty of opportunities for me to practice depending on God and being where He wants me to be, doing whatever He wants me to do.

Of course, I know that this is just one of the things that I will learn on this mission trip. I'm excited about the bonds that will be formed over the next week, both with my teammates as well as with the people of Guatemala. I'm looking forward to soaking in a new culture and atmosphere. I'm eager to capture in words and pictures the amazing sights I'll see.

Most of all, I'm ready to see the many ways that God will be working through each of us. Although we are being sent to minister and be a blessing to others, I know that they will in turn bless us greatly. Lord willing, I'll return in a week and be able to share some of these experiences with you.

3 comments:

That Girl said...

I have to admit, I'm a little jealous.

Kelley said...

I'm so proud of your courage and desire to serve! I know God is going to use you in a mighty way! Have fun serving!
Will be praying for your safety and success!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you -- I know you are doing a great work there -- you have such a servant heart. I said a prayer for you. Looking foreward to reading about the wonderful journey. -Tracie