Sunday, January 04, 2009

In Case You Need a Reminder...

As I mentioned the other day, I feel called to up the ante of my prayers and make 2009 a year of bold, faith-filled praying. Already, God is working to confirm through some special reminders.

Last year I used a daily Bible (with passages from OT, NT, Psalms and Proverbs) for my quiet time. On December 31 I naturally finished it and wasn't sure whether to start from the beginning again or to do a more in-depth study of one particular book of the Bible. When I woke up on January 1 I felt compelled, for some unknown reason, to read Luke 1. Luke 1 describes the angel Gabriel's visits to Zechariah and to Mary, foretelling the births of John the Baptist and Jesus.

After telling Mary that not only will she, a virgin, bear a son, but her cousin Elizabeth, who is old and barren, will also bear a son, Gabriel ends his message by saying, "For nothing is impossible with God." (v. 37)

As I read that verse, I realized that God was using this passage to remind that, just as He did the seemingly impossible 2,000-plus years ago, He is perfectly capable of doing so in my own life today. I was so thankful that He had put that verse in front of me that morning. Little did I know that that verse would be a recurring theme over the weekend.

Last night as I was channel-surfing, I came across "Facing the Giants". For those of you unfamiliar with the movie, it's the story of a high school football coach who faces great challenges with his team and with his marriage. Little by little, God brings about changes at work and at home, some so improbable that the phrase "Nothing is impossible for my God" is uttered over and over throughout the movie. Once again, God was reminding me of that message.

This morning on my way to church, I prayed that I'd hear something at church that would further reinforce the belief that nothing is impossible for God. I couldn't help but laugh to myself when someone in Sunday school used that very phrase. How wonderful God is to keep reminding me that I can have the faith to dream big dreams and pray big prayers, knowing that He has the power to do ALL things.

I wonder how many more reminders I'll get this week...I'm definitely keeping my eyes and ears open for them!

4 comments:

That Girl said...

This morning, I told God through my prayer journal, that I would be looking for him at Downtown. Sure enough, he showed up! It's so much easier to see him when I'm expecting to do so!

Anonymous said...

Here's another reminder for you. My devotional for this year is Max Lucado's "Grace For the Moment". Today's verse is Gen. 18:14, "Is anything too hard for the Lord? No!"

Lisa said...

Thanks Mom--maybe this will be an everyday reminder! (Goodness knows I need it!)

Donna G said...

I am so behind....but thanks for this. I need to the reminder myself.