Thursday, October 01, 2009

Is Anything Too Hard for the Lord?

Lately I've been studying the story of Abraham and his incredible journey with God. One of the things I love about the Bible is that the people in it are shown as they really were--human, flawed, sinful, doubting at times, and yet also passionately pursued and wooed by a God who loved them. Abraham had a very intimate friendship with God, but he also wrestled with trusting God to fulfill His promises to him. Oh, how I can relate.

This morning I read the story of the Lord coming to Abraham in Genesis 18 to tell him that in a year, Abraham's wife Sarah would bear him a son. At the time, Abraham was 99 years old, and Sarah not far behind, so I really can't blame Sarah for laughing to herself at the thought of shopping for maternity wear at her age. Even though I've read the story many times before, this particular passage struck me today:

Then the LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Will I really have a child, now that I am old?' Is anything too hard for the LORD ? I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son." (Genesis 18:13-14)

I especially love the question asked, "Is anything too hard for the LORD?" It's a question that I needed to be reminded of, because there are times when I really wrestle with whether or not God is going to come through for me. There are certain situations that I've been praying about for months and years and I find it to be almost a daily struggle to keep turning those situations over to God rather than try to work things out on my own. Intellectually, I know that nothing is too difficult for God. Emotionally, however, I sometimes wonder if God's ever going to act in these circumstances.

I don't know what area of your life that you're waiting on God for--a relationship struggle, a job difficulty, financial troubles, family issues--but maybe someone else besides just me needs the reminder right now that nothing is too hard for Him. Even when we are faithless, He is faithful. Amen.

No comments: