Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cold Spells

After a particularly cold (by Alabama standards) winter that included some pretty substantial snowfall, I'm enjoying the beautiful spring weather that's come our way. We've already had some days in the mid to upper 80s, which seems to indicate that it will be a long, hot summer (not unusual by Alabama standards). But the past few days the daytime temp has hovered in the 70s and I've enjoyed some beautiful outdoor time, as my spring allergies will attest.

Every time the seasons start to change I'm reminded of how we go through varying seasons of life. It's reassuring to be reminded that no season lasts forever, no matter how long it seems.

This morning was chillier than usual, not quite wintry but not quite a balmy spring. That made me think about how in our own seasons of life, when we're transitioning from one season of life to the next, we may have days here and there where it feels like we're backtracking into the previous season. In those times I feel like I'm taking one step forward and two steps back, and I get frustrated. I start to think that something's wrong with me that I can't just change and make progress without stepping back. I realize that's the work of the Enemy to convince me that I'm responsible for my own change and progress.

The reality is that it's God's Spirit at work in me who changes me, and those days where I feel like I'm regressing instead of progressing are there by His design. Just as He doesn't automatically switch from winter to spring overnight without a cold spell or two in the transition, He allows me to have those days where I may take a step or two back. I don't really know why God allows that to happen--I just have to trust that there IS a purpose in it.

So as I move from one season to the next, I'm trying to focus on the ways I've moved forward and not be discouraged on those days where I feel like I'm not making as much progress as I'd like. I'm also trying to remember that He won't leave me in one season of life forever; He is continually molding and shaping my life. Even though I may not be able to see or sense what He's doing, He's continuing to work on me.

No comments: