Friday, July 30, 2010

Confessions of a Christ-Follower

• Most of my favorite worship experiences have taken place nowhere near a church.

• I don't read my Bible every day.

• If I wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble getting back to sleep, my first instinct is not usually to pray. Typically it won't cross my mind til hours later, when I think, "Oh, maybe God woke up me 'cause He wanted to talk to me. Oops."

• Sometimes I'll tell someone that I'll pray for them but then I forget to do it. That's why I don't make that offer as often as I used to.

• I can only listen to so much Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, Casting Crowns and Mercy Me before wanting to gag.

• When I'm tired or frustrated or mad I've been known to cuss. And I don't always feel bad about it.

• I'm not sure that I'll ever want to go on a mission trip to Africa. I'm okay with that.

• Sometimes Sundays are my least favorite day of the week.

• There are some worship songs that (to me) are so cheesy that I have to restrain myself from rolling my eyes whenever we start singing them. But I'm still rolling my eyes on the inside.

• I hate the fact that so many Christians have treated George W. Bush as the second coming of Christ and Barack Obama as the anti-Christ.

• I've seen several of the "Harry Potter" movies and don't feel guilty about it.

• I kinda miss using a songbook.

• I love the fact that the majority of the stories of Jesus told in the Gospels take place outside the temple.

• Some of my best conversations with friends have taken place when we've skipped Sunday school.

3 comments:

Margie Walters said...

you rebel. i love this!

The Khans said...

Thanks for sharing Lisa. Love it. Hope we can get together soon to catch up and so you can see Zachary in person.

Donna G said...

I used to do the eye rolling thing and sometimes dreaded Sunday morning like the plague! Not anymore....

but....I could do my own list of other confessions, some of which would greatly mirror yours...some would likely shock you....but maybe not.