Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Works for Me Wednesday: Powdered Milk

works for me wednesday at we are that family

The older (ahem) I get, the greater the desire to simplify my life; I suppose that's a fairly common desire. Although there are many days when my life feels like it's getting more rather than less complicated, I am at least trying. To that end, I'm trying more and more to anticipate needs and be proactive rather than reactive.

Case in point: grocery shopping. The fewer trips to the grocery store I can make the better, so it bugs me when I get home from the store and *think* I've got all the ingredients for a particular recipe only to discover that I don't. Not too long ago I was in the middle of a recipe and realized that it called for milk, which I didn't have in the fridge, since I'm not a big milk drinker. I was about to either have to make another store run or ditch the recipe altogether; neither option was all that appealing.

Then it hit me--I remembered that I had powdered milk left over from when I made homemade hot chocolate mix as Christmas gifts. I just mixed the milk powder with water (measurements are on the box) and voila! Problem solved!


Keeping powdered milk on hand is a great option for those who, like me, don't buy milk very often. Plus, it's relatively inexpensive and keeps for a long time. No more wasted milk! That works for me.

Want more time- and money-saving tips? Click here for more Works for Me Wednesday ideas.

No comments: