Thursday, October 07, 2010

Look Up

It's so easy to get caught up in the things going on in and around my life. Our annual fall meeting is coming up next month so work is steadily getting busier and more stressful as the meeting dates approach. I've got a long list of projects for around the house that need to be tackled. Plus there's the everyday minutiae of bills to pay, car tags to renew, yardwork to be done, grocery shopping, laundry, etc. that eat up so much of my time and focus.

That's why I really needed the reminder from today's reading in Colossians about not just thinking about earthly things but thinking about Heaven as well. I like the way the Message puts it:

So if you're serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don't shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ—that's where the action is. See things from his perspective. (Col. 3:1,2)

My natural inclination is to keep my head down and focused on what's going on around me, but I'm going to try to look up more. How about you?

No comments: