Monday, March 07, 2011

Comparisons

I recently finished the book Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst. Although the book is written primarily out of the author's struggle with her weight and eating habits, I was drawn to its overall message of learning to satisfy our desires with God. Whether it's food, shopping, television, alcohol, or any other vice, we probably all have habits or things that we turn to for fulfillment and comfort rather than automatically turn to God.

I was particularly struck by the section discussing our tendency to make (unfair) comparisons:

"We like to identify our shortcomings, form them into a club, and mentally beat the tar out of ourselves. Over and over and over again. We label ourselves and soon lose our real identity to the beaten and bruised fragility we call 'me.'

We compare, we assume, we assess, we measure, and most times walk away shaking our head at how woefully short our 'me' falls when compared to everyone else. How dangerous it is to hold up the intimate knowledge of our imperfections against the outside packaging of others." (Made to Crave, pg. 184, emphasis mine)

This is so true--how often do I look at the outward appearance of someone who seemingly has it all together and judge myself as lacking in comparison? Thankfully, I'm more content and secure in my life as a single woman now than I was years ago, but there are still times when I gaze upon my married mom-friends with a bit of envy and feel somewhat inadequate next to them. The fact that I know just how messy my life is at times, how sinful and selfish and lazy and impatient I am, just makes me feel even more like a loser when I am surrounded by those who, by outward appearances, seem wholly devoted to God, unfailingly generous, and patient to a fault.

So I'm thankful for the reminder that things are not always as they seem. I'm even more thankful to remember that the One who knows me better than I know myself, who truly knows every negative characteristic that I possess and every evil, selfish act I've done, loves, forgives and accepts me, in spite of me.

No comments: