Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Boot Camp Diaries, Day 8 (aka Weighing Me Down)

Another Wednesday, another Capitol day. If I thought running steps was hard before, then I was in for a rude awakening, as we were each given a 5 lb. weighted ball to carry with us. We used the ball in virtually every part of the workout--carrying it running up and down the steps multiple times, wedging it between our knees while doing triceps dips, using it as a base for performing mountain climbers and push-ups, switching it from arm to arm as we did walking lunges up the hill.

I think the most challenging exercise was running up and down the side driveway while carrying the ball. Our Capitol sits atop a very steep hill, hence a very steep driveway. It would have been tough to run up and down without the weight; with the weight, I was definitely feeling the burn and counting the minutes until the cooldown.

It's amazing how much effect such a small weight can have on you. I'm sure there's a very profound metaphor about life's challenges somewhere here, but I'll spare you the life lesson for now.

No comments: