Friday, May 06, 2011

The Boot Camp Diaries, Day Six (aka Halfway There)

Two weeks of boot camp down, woo hoo! I can't believe it it's already halfway over. I can tell a big difference--just last night, some co-workers and I did the cardio boot camp workout on one of the "Biggest Loser" DVDs. That particular workout used to really wear me out, but last night I barely broke a sweat. Bob has nothing on Margaret!

Once again, we had a substitute instructor (Heather) for boot camp today. She conducted boot camp last week and will also direct next Friday's session as well. She's nice, but she doesn't pull any punches. Right off the bat we did a series of exercises:

• 30 mountain climbers
• 30 walking lunges
• High knees skips
• 30 walking skaters
• 30 jumping jacks
• 30 jump squats
• Run/walk back to where we started
• 15 burpees (not sure why only 15 of these--I suppose that was her way of showing a little mercy)

Now imagine doing ALL of that FOUR times! That is how we spent the first half-hour of boot camp. I thought Margaret was tough, but I think Heather may have her beat. At any rate, I think we were all missing Margaret. Funny how running up the Capitol steps a million times seems so tame in comparison to this.

After the first 30 minutes of torture, we did some strength training: lunges with weights, donkey kicks with weights, arm work, planks, etc. We finished with some yoga as our "cool down".

In a weird way, I'm encouraged to hear veteran boot campers moan and groan about these tough workouts. It's nice to know that I'm not the only feeling the pain.

No comments: