Sunday, August 07, 2011

A Little Refreshment


It's been an extremely hot, humid, and (for the most part) dry summer, which has made spending time outdoors pretty miserable. Even though our boot camp meets at 5:30 a.m. before the sun really comes up, the last few days have been so humid that I've worked up a sweat just standing there waiting for the session to begin.

So it's no wonder that one of the favorite treats at boot camp are when our instructor brings her cooler filled with washcloths that are soaking in ice water. She doesn't bring them every day, but on the days that she does, we can't wait to wring out the excess water and wrap the washcloths around our sweat-soaked necks. It's amazing how such a little treat can bring such refreshment.

That got me thinking the other day about how small gestures can make a big impact. Verses like Matthew 10:42 spring to mind:

"And if you give even a cup of cold water to one of the least of my followers, you will surely be rewarded.”

It's so easy for me to think that little favors don't really matter. I take them for granted all the time. Sure, I may automatically say thank you whenever someone holds a door open for me or allows me to get in line ahead of them at the grocery store, but I don't always realize the significance of that kind gesture.

Furthermore, it's so easy for me to be so caught up in my own little world that I don't notice how thirsty someone may be for some refreshment from me. I want to be used by God in powerful, significant ways--and that may mean focusing on doing small things rather than waiting for some grand opportunity. So I'm feeling challenged to (a) be more aware of and more thankful for small moments of refreshment that come my way, and (b) to be more proactive in seeking out ways that I can refresh others.


No comments: