Saturday, January 21, 2012

Missing the Promise

Late this afternoon as I left a store I noticed a couple of teenage girls standing in the parking lot, staring up at the sky behind me and taking pictures with their cell phones. Naturally curious, I turned around and saw this:


This was one of the biggest and most beautiful rainbows I've ever seen (sadly, the picture doesn't do it justice). Part of me wanted to go back into the store and tell everyone to come out and see it. I wondered how many people walked out of that same store and missed this gorgeous sight because they never bothered to turn around.

It got me thinking about promises. After all, the rainbow symbolizes a promise made by God to Noah thousands of years ago, after the great flood:

Then God said, “I am giving you [Noah] a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. 1When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures. Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life. When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.” Then God said to Noah, “Yes, this rainbow is the sign of the covenant I am confirming with all the creatures on earth.” (Genesis 9:12-17)

Having gone to church all of my life, I'm well versed in the promises of God, but I wonder how often I miss them because I simply forget about or overlook them. When I'm stressed out and losing sleep over some project at work (as I was this week), I need to be reminded of this promise:


Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." (Matthew 28:11)

When I feel like my life is going nowhere, I need to cling to this promise:

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11)

When I become anxious over money or health or just my future in general, I need to recall this promise:

And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19)

When I'm tempted to try to find peace in the things of this world, this promise should come to mind:

“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid." (John 14:27)

I could go on and on, as there are many more promises of God mentioned in the Bible. I'm thankful that  the symbol of God's covenant with Noah made so long ago is still shown today, and that it serves as a reminder of His faithfulness to fulfill ALL of His promises.

1 comment:

Fashion-isha said...

Thanks for stopping by..your blog is gorgeous!
xo
Sharon