Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Good Fight

A couple of weeks ago I posted this plea for prayers for Sara Walker, a young wife and mother from my hometown who was in the midst of a valiant fight against Stage IV colon cancer. Today the news came that Sara passed away early this morning.

This news was met with a mixture of sorrow and rejoicing. Sorrow for her husband, two young sons, parents, siblings, and other family and friends left with the aching void that she leaves behind. Rejoicing in knowing that she is no longer suffering, that she is complete and perfect at last, and that she has been reunited with her daughter and (more importantly) with her Savior and King.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I only knew Sara in passing, but having followed her CaringBridge site for several months, I was incredibly impressed with the amount of wisdom and faith that she demonstrated over the past year. I hope that she is now able to see just how many people--including those she did not know personally--whose lives she impacted for the Kingdom of God.

When I heard the news of her passing, II Timothy 4:7-8 came to my mind:

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day —and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.


For Sara, the good fight is over. Please continue to pray for her family and friends who are fighting on and who eagerly await their reunion with her. 

No comments: