Monday, September 17, 2012

Living & Active Challenge: Week 1 Recap


It's wrap-up time for the first week of Peak 313 Fitness' Living & Active Challenge! Here's a brief recap of how I did (or didn't do) meeting my goals for the week.

Physical
Workout Goal: Exercise 6 days/week
What Actually Happened: Success! Worked out Monday-Saturday, including completing a 5K on Saturday in which I posted my best race time to date. Yay!

Eating Goal: Continue to use My Fitness Pal to track my meals; cut down on nighttime snacking
What Really Happened: Mixed success. I've been consistent with using the food tracking app, and that has definitely helped me eat less. The post-dinner snacking is still a great temptation that I have trouble staying away from. Sweets in particular are my downfall. I've gone through periods of time where I limit my sweets to just fruit but lately I've been eating a lot of processed sugars and desserts. For the next week I'm going to try to reign in my sweet tooth and let fruit be my nightly dessert.

Spiritual
I took Clare's Scripture memory verse to heart (Ecclesiastes 4:12: "Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.") and thought about it often throughout the week. I especially thought of it on Saturday when I was in the 5K. I entered the race with two friends, Heidi and Elisabeth, with whom I've been walking for the past several Saturdays. They're training for a half-marathon coming up next month, and although I'll be out of town and unable to compete, I decided to do as much training with them as possible. For the past few weeks we've been meeting at 5 a.m. on Saturday to walk several miles together. Believe me, I would not be out of bed that early on a Saturday morning if I were left to exercise on my own. And being in this past Saturday's race  with them (even though we ended up racing on our own after the first couple of minutes) made competing in it much more enjoyable.

Accountability
I'm excited to report that not only did my sister sign up for this challenge, but my friend Elisabeth did as well, so now I have two people to answer to!

Looking forward to what Week 2 of the challenge will hold. It's not too late to participate--visit Peak 313 Fitness to learn more!

No comments: