Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Plan B

This morning I got out of bed early, got dressed in my running gear and prepared to head out the door for a Couch to 5K session, as it was a non-boot camp day for me. I was all ready to go when I caught a glimpse of my dog, Bailey. Most days she's non-plussed about me going outside without her; it's funny how she seems to know when I've got boot camp days. Even on most running days she doesn't seem fazed (and probably is eager to crawl back to bed while I hit the road).

Every once in a while, however, Bailey makes it known that she fully expects to be taken on a walk. Today was one of those days. Even as I told her (and of course she understands, right?) that I needed to run instead of walk, she kept whining and jumping up and down on me. After a couple of minutes of contemplating this change to my exercise routine, her big brown eyes won me over and I got out her leash, much to her delight.

We only walked 1.08 miles and it took us just under 24 minutes to do that. She's getting on up there in doggie years and can't walk as fast or as far as she used to, not to mention the fact that she needed to make a couple of pit stops along the way. I didn't burn as many calories as I'd intended, but I don't regret changing my plans. I don't know how many more years I have left with her, and there will be a day when she won't be around to beg for a walk. We enjoyed our walk together and while it may not have been the best workout for my body, it was a good workout for my soul.

Some days Plan B is exactly what I need.

No comments: