Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Thankful Body

I almost didn't run today.

On non-boot camp days (typically Tuesdays and Thursdays), I go for a run instead. That's my intent, anyway. Most days lately I've managed to get up and go but there are certain days when I need to be at work early or have errands to run on the way to work or (most likely) just want to sleep in a little later so I skip my run.

Today was one of those mornings where I was so tempted to change my alarm and get some more shut-eye. My alarm had awakened me from a dream so I was pretty groggy and just wanted to roll over and go back to dreamland. But then I remembered the news from yesterday. The horrors of the explosions in Boston.

I thought of the runners who didn't get to finish the race. I thought of those nearby who were injured, some who may never run or even walk again. I thought of those who died. And I got up and ran because I could.

Perhaps that sounds more noble than I intend for it to; I don't think that my running really makes a difference to anyone but me, and that's okay. But sometimes I need to be reminded that I still have a whole, healthy body and so many others do not, and I need to appreciate it and celebrate it and not waste it. May I gently suggest that you too take a moment to breathe a prayer of thanksgiving for the life that God has given you and ask His wisdom in helping you not waste any of it?

No comments: