Saturday, January 15, 2005

Unlocking Mysteries

I had a good trip to Orlando, didn't get a chance to visit any theme parks but did stay at the Hard Rock Hotel, which is a pretty cool hotel for music-lovers like me (quick story: my 60-something year old boss complained that the music was too loud and asked the waitress in the hotel restaurant to turn it down, to which she responded, "We can't--this is the Hard Rock Hotel!").

Anyway, all went well with flying home yesterday, all the luggage made it, etc. Everything seemed to be just fine until I got home and went to unpack my suitcase. I discovered that the lock, which had (thankfully) opened without any problems in Orlando, was now stuck. I could fit my key in, but try as I might, I couldn't turn it and open the lock to save my life.

Since all the locksmiths in town are closed on the weekends unless you call their extra-expensive 24-hour emergency service, I decided to call on my trusted Dad. I took the suitcase over to his house this morning and after a few unsuccessful tries with the key, he was able to hacksaw through the lock.

Today I've felt like the lock is a metaphor for some things I'm trying to figure out in my life. I know I've blogged about it before, but once again I find myself trying to unlock certain mysteries, and I'm getting no where. It's times like this when I'm reminded that I need to take my locks (figuratively speaking) to my Father, Who knows all things.

This doesn't mean that all mysteries will be revealed here and now. Paul talks about how different things are now compared to when Jesus returns. In 1 Cor. 13:12, he says, "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully even as I am fully known."

I think I forget that I'm not meant to know the why and the how and the when of everything that God has planned for my life. That's frustrating because I want to know all those things. I don't like having suitcases or doors locked, because I want to be able to get at what's inside. But, to paraphrase Ecclesiastes 3, there's a time to lock and a time to unlock.

Now, I can use these locked mystery times as chances to act like a whiny brat who throws a fit because she doesn't know what's going on, or I can see them as invitations to draw closer to God and seek after His heart. That doesn't necessarily mean that He'll reveal all to me when I do, but someday when I'm with Him in person, things will become much, much clearer. Truthfully, though, I think that the closer I draw to God and the more I learn about Him, the less concerned I'll become with those mysteries that bug me so much now.

No comments: