Monday, January 10, 2005

Traveling Without a Road Map

As I mentioned in last week's blog about God's power, I'm making Scripture memorization and meditation one of my spiritual goals for 2005. I've been praying about which passages to meditate upon; I believe that God will lead me in the direction He wants and give me certain verses that He wants me to stamp on my heart and mind.

In my quiet time the last few days I've been reading the story of Abraham in Genesis, so Hebrews 11:8 is my verse of the week: "By faith Abraham, when called to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going."

I'll admit, I would not have made a good traveling companion for Abraham. I'd want to know where I was going. I'd want to know where we going to stay along the way. Most of all, I'd want to know the reason for us going, and what was going to happen when we got there.

Despite Abraham's occasional lapses in faith (trying to "create" his own family via Hagar, lying twice about Sarah being his sister), his deep friendship with God and extreme faithfulness in following God without a roadmap led him to be called the "Father of all who believe" (Romans 4:11). Much of Hebrews 11 is a testimony to Abraham's trust in God, especially in extreme circumstances. Leaving the country he knew to go to a strange place that he didn't even have a name for? Having a baby at age 100? Being told to sacrifice that same child years later? Pretty heavy stuff.

What amazes me about Abraham's faith is that it was, for the most part, unquestioning. Imagine being told to leave the land you grew up on, all your neighbors and friends, pack up all your belongings, your family, your sheep and cattle, and head off to...somewhere. He didn't even have the advantage of being told in advance where he was going; God simply told Abraham to go to the place that He would show him. There was no Rand McNally for Abraham to plot his course on, no itnerary. It was about following God no matter what. Mindblowing faith.

Hebrews 11:8 convicts me that I question God way, way too much. I don't necessarily think it's sinful to have doubts and question God from time to time; however, what too often happens is that instead of obeying Him despite my questions, I let my questions distract me from obeying Him.

God doesn't require us to possess all wisdom and to figure out why He's leading us down our life's paths. What He requires is obedience, even when we can't understand where God's taking us and why.

I want to have faith like Abraham. I want to go where God leads me, even when I can't see around the bend. I don't want to question His every move.

How often do you question God? And how often does that keep you from following Him?

Lisa

P.S. Speaking of traveling, today I'll be winging my way to sunny Orlando for the week...going on business (I promise!) for our national convention. Please keep me in your prayers for a safe trip and that I don't go through blog withdrawal. Hopefully I'll have some good "material" to share when I return. Have a blessed week!




No comments: