Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Scripture of the Week: Romans 12:12

"Be glad for all God is planning for you. Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful." Romans 12:12 (NLT)

Tonight I sat next to my sister at the Ladies' Night Out dinner at our church. She is a pretty faithful reader of my blog (thanks, Carrie!) and she asked when I was going to add more to this particular post, since I wrote the above verse a few days ago and promised to add more.

I'd intended to write some long grandiose monologue about this verse and what it means to me and how it's impacted my life this week, but it's been a really hectic week. I took a quick overnight trip to a meeting in beautiful Fort Payne, Alabama, and I've been busy with friends the rest of the week. It's one of those weeks where somehow I end up planning something for nearly every night of the week.

Some times I find myself thinking of all the things I'd do if I had the time to do it. I often dream about what I think or hope God is going to do with my life. But I so rarely take the time to actually enjoy where I am right now. Not only should I be glad over what God is planning for me, but I should also rejoice in what He has done and is doing in my life. Slowing down and taking the time to savor each moment makes a big difference in my attitude, particularly when I get into worry-mode.

Another point about this verse: it's overwhelming to realize that God actually HAS a plan for my life. He knew that this would be a crazy week for me, and He knows how it fits into His plans for me. Remembering that He has everything mapped out and timed to perfection also helps keep my worries at bay.

Finally, the reminder to always be prayerful is a further way of releasing worry to God. I've had a lot on my mind this week, a lot to pray about, and the more I life those thoughts and worries and requests to God, the less I dwell on them and the more peace I gain.

That's why, in the midst of a busy week like this one, I'm able to sleep well and relax, knowing that God's in control. Sometimes it takes a chaotic week to bring more order to my prayer life, because it's then that I'm really dependent on Him.

Whether your week has been hectic or calm, take a moment to reflect on how God's been in control. Realize that every moment of your life has been mapped out by God. Thank Him for how He's guided your life so far, and praise Him for all that's He going to do. Today, savor each moment.


No comments: