Thursday, March 17, 2005

March Madness

For me, March, and not Christmas, is the Most Wonderful Time of the Year. I'm half-Hoosier, so I've always had a love for basketball running through my veins. My dad's Indiana upbringing firmly entrenched in me rapt adoration of a good jumpshot, the importance of hitting free throws, and a ferocious appetite for March Madness.

There's so much to love about March Madness. The last-second miracle shots, the Cinderella stories, the players who overcome injury and adversity to triumph. It's more than just a bunch of basketball games, it's a series of dreams coming true for hundreds of players, coaches and fans.

Naturally, I'll be rooting for my beloved Crimson Tide today, but I'll also be rooting for Eastern Kentucky U. It's a school I know very little about, I've never watched one of their games, I couldn't name any of their players except one, Zach Ingles. Today I read Zach's story and was overwhelmed with emotion (which, I'll admit, is not an unusual thing for me!). Take a few minutes to read his story. Even if you're not a basketball fan, I think you'll find yourself rooting for this young man and his family.

March Madness, gotta love it!

1 comment:

Donna G said...

Thanks Lisa, I needed a good cry today! Who knows, maybe I will watch a little round ball now.