Thursday, March 24, 2005

Playing Tour Guide

I inherited my love of sports from my dad. We've watched football, basketball, baseball, hockey (of course, no NHL this season) together. When our family gets together for lunch every few weeks, Dad and I discuss the latest trade rumors and player injuries (which must bore my mom, sister and brother-in-law to tears).

Dad loves to watch Atlanta Braves baseball, and though he's been to games when they played at Fulton County Stadium years ago, he's never been to a game at Turner Field. For a long time we've talked about going to a game. Finally the other day I decided that we were going to quit talking about it and actually go, so I e-mailed the Braves schedule to him and told him to pick a day for us to go, my treat.

After the date had been chosen, I ordered tickets. Dad was really excited. Then I e-mailed him a picture of the view of the field from where we'd be sitting, and he got even more excited. If they're giving a tour of the stadium that day, we'll get tickets to that as well, which would thrill him even more.

I've been to several games at Turner Field, I've been to the Braves museum and taken the stadium tour. And I've loved going every time. But this time I'm even more excited about going, because I'm taking someone who's never been. And not just any someone, but my dear ol' dad, who taught me about baseball and who I know will truly appreciate being there.

It's very special for me to be able to do something for my dad, who has done so much and sacrificed so much for me and our family. He doesn't ask for much on birthdays or Father's Day--a new belt or tie is about as exciting as it gets on his wish list. But I know that he's really excited about going to this game, and that makes me even more excited to be able to play tour guide and show him the places I've been to and love.

I was thinking yesterday about how excited Jesus must be about taking us to Heaven. He's been there, so He knows how incredible it is. He knows how thrilled and overwhelmed with joy that we'll feel upon being there, on being in His presence.

In John 14:1-3, Jesus says, "Don't be troubled. You trust God, now trust in me.There are many rooms in my Father's home, and I am going to prepare a place for you. If this were not so, I would tell you plainly. When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am."

Jesus knows what delights us. He's preparing a place for us--not just any old place, but a place where we'll be with Him always. He can't wait to give us a tour of Heaven, better than any ballpark tour. Be excited about where we're going, but also rejoice in knowing that Jesus is excited about taking us there!

1 comment:

Donna G said...

Strange coincidence, my husband and I are planning on taking my parents to a game this spring. They both have become quite the fans.

It is such a comfort to know that God is preparing us a place that we will love. It used to worry me that I would not like walking around streets of gold and singing and possibly playing a harp all day! God knows what to give us to make it paradise!!