Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Joseph

One of the benefits of keeping a journal is being able to read through previous entries and see how God has worked in my life. It's mildly amusing to be reminded of some of the issues I agonized over, not knowing the plans God had in store for me. Many times, He answered my prayers. Many other times, He chose a different answer--and always, a far better one than I would have imagined.

One of my favorite Biblical figures is Joseph (of the O.T.). The poor guy went through the ringer! Despised by his brothers. Sold by them into slavery. Framed and hung out to dry by his boss's wife. Forgotten in prison. Talk about suffering!

And yet, through it all, Joseph remained faithful to God. I'm sure there were many times when he questioned God's plans for him. Many times when he just wanted to die, to end his suffering. And yet, in seemingly impossible circumstances, God came through. Not only that, but He ultimately placed Joseph in the position of second-in-command of all Egypt.

When Joseph's brothers came to Egypt to buy grain during the famine, and Joseph finally revealed his identity to them, he recognized that God had brought him to Egypt so that his family--the very family that betrayed him and sold him into slavery--could be saved. Time after time, challenge after challenge, God's plans prevailed.

While I certainly don't want to suffer to the extent that Joseph did, I do admire his faithfulness and his ability to see things through God's lenses. Re-reading journal entries, I can see how God worked things out for my good, for the good of those around me. These are important things to remember when I wonder just what on earth God is up to in my life.

1 comment:

Donna G said...

I have always been more of a Jonah....

Joseph is such a great role model