Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Best Laid Plans

At work we're gearing up for our biggest statewide meeting of the year, which will take place next week. We're all in full-tilt crazy-busy mode, keeping the copier humming as it churns out multiple reports and meeting agendas and flyers. It seems that as soon as I get one thing checked off my to-do list for this meeting, another rears its ugly head.

As if I don't have a full enough plate doing things for my own committee meeting, I am also in charge of designing and printing multiple newsletters, flyers, etc. for our registration packets. Believe me, there is a LOT of designing and printing involved in this meeting. And just when I thought I had everything reasonably under control, late this afternoon one of my co-workers told me about a brochure that he needs designed and printed by--uh huh--Tuesday. At that point I wanted to hide under my desk or, better yet, run away and hide somewhere they can't find me.

I'll admit that I don't always handle stress well. I usually can maintain a good attitude, even though my plate may be full, when I'm the one deciding what gets put on the plate. But when others start adding their own projects to my plate, then I find myself getting short with others, or "venting my frustration" to other co-workers (which is a nice way of saying complaining).

How quickly I forget that I am not at my job to be served by others, but rather to serve others. I am there to help our organization in whatever way possible, even if that means putting aside my plans for the day and my to-do list in order to help my co-workers. Some days that is much more difficult to remember--and do--than others.

Tonight as I drove home from work, I confessed my sin of selfishness and having a rotten attitude when it came to others asking for my help at work. I don't want to see tasks or requests that come my way unexpectedly as being interruptions, or resenting them because they're not in my game plan. That's the wrong attitude to have. Truly, I need to see each day as being God's game plan for me, and to accept whatever plans He has for me that day.

With only three more days of work left until we leave for our meeting, I'm anticipating that the temptation to worry and stress out and complain will become even greater. Please pray that I'll maintain a peaceful, generous attitude throughout the days leading up to and the days of our meeting, and that I will humbly submit to God's plan for my life each day.