Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Prayerlessness=Pride

The second chapter in the Seeking Him study is about humility. It is noted that pride is at the root of all sin, which is what makes it so dangerous. When we don't deal with our pride, we cannot effectively deal with the other sins in our life.

One area of pride that God has revealed to me is neglecting to pray. I try to maintain a pretty consistent prayer life. Usually my morning commute to work is spent in prayer, and I often pray at other times during the day as well, particularly at night before bed. But when it's the weekend or I'm not on my usual schedule, prayer sometimes falls by the wayside. It's easy to let it become rote or routine and not really genuine, fervent prayer.

When I don't take time during my day to seek God in prayer, I'm saying that I don't need Him. Of course, deep down I know that I do need Him. But my actions say otherwise. I'm realizing that rushing into my day without praying is an act of pride on my part.

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sort of agree. On weekends or times when I'm out of my normal schedule, I pray in a different style. Usually, not a sit down focused prayer but almost always a prayer of a different type. I ask for too much when I'm being in a schedule. I'm much more thankful when I'm spontaneous.

Karen said...

OUCH! I resemble that remark.

Thanks for giving me something to think about.