Sunday, September 16, 2007

Seeking Him, Chapter 1

As I mentioned last week, I've started a 12-week study on personal revival called Seeking Him. Throughout the study I plan to share some of the insights I've gained each week.

Week one's title was "Revival--Who Needs It?". I think it's important to realize that for true revival to sweep across our churches, communities and nation, it has to first begin with us as individuals. It's easy for me to ask God to change those around me; it's far more humbling to ask Him to change me.

I've begun praying that God would open my eyes to see people as He sees them, and to make me sensitive to His leading. He has definitely been answering those prayers by bringing attitudes and behaviors to my attention that have not been pleasing to Him. Like I said, it's a very humbling experience.

However, this humbling experience has brought about a new awareness of how much God loves me. As I see my sinful nature more clearly, I get a greater sense of the depth of His love. One thing that stood out to me in this first week of study is that the Bible is filled with story after story of God's relentless pursuit of His people, and of His desire to have a relationship with them. That desire did not end with the Old Testament, or with the first century church. It persists today. Even now, God calls out to us to turn to Him, seek His face, and enjoy fellowship with Him.

Another point was that the desire for revival and relationship with God is not produced by ourselves, but rather it is a desire placed in our hearts by God. Our hunger for Him is from Him. We don't generate it ourselves.

Looking forward to what week two has to say to me...

No comments: