Wednesday, January 16, 2008

No Whining Allowed

At our first staff meeting of the year last week, our boss instituted a "No Whining" policy for our office. When he told me before the meeting that he was going to make 2008 a whine-free year in our office, I cynically wished him luck and wondered how long that policy would last. (I figured it would be violated by lunchtime for sure.)

In presenting this new policy at the staff meeting, he said that if we wanted to whine to him, we could, with this caveat: we had to come with a solution to the complaint.

I know that I am guilty of whining and complaining about circumstances and people, both at work and outside of work, and yet I'm unwilling (or simply don't think about) doing something to bring about positive change. Even in my prayers, I'm quick to ask for God to present a solution, but not always willing for Him to use me as the solution.

So I'm trying to institute a "no whining" policy for myself. More and more, I find myself opening up and being more willing to be used by God in whatever way He sees fit, which, admittedly, is often in ways that I would not have chosen for myself. But I must admit that it is exciting to know that God is using me in some pretty incredible ways that I could not have foreseen. I think that sometimes it is easier to see God move and work when we are willing to let Him work through us.

Anyone want to join in on the "no whining" policy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OUCH! That is quite ambitious. My cynical self wants to say what you said "good luck with that" but my Spirit led self says....I think I can do that! So I will give it a go!

Kelley said...

Crap. Now I feel the need to whine about your challenge! Gee Thanks Lisa!
Hmmm. I will try it for today and see how it works out for today. I know it's something I should do.

Confessing Lunatic said...

This is such a God-thing (since I don't believe in coincidence). Just this Tuesday I wrote about being convicted about my whining. So, yes, count me in!