Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Great Slowdown

Computers have become an essential to modern life, both in work and at home. But there are times when my computer seems to rebel against me. Sometimes in the middle of performing some task, it will slow down or freeze up altogether. Typically the reason is that I have too many programs running at once, and its "energy" is diverted in too many different directions. On those occasions, I'll get the dreaded "Program not responding" message on my screen and have to shut the program down or, in some cases, restart the computer altogether.

While multitasking can be a great asset, it can also become a liability. When I'm trying to do several things at once, I often find myself distracted and end up getting things done either more slowly or with more errors. Although I enjoy having diverse projects to work on, both at work and at home, too much of a good thing can be a not-so-good thing.

The past few weeks at work have been crazy-busy, and I'm finding myself running low on energy by workday's end because of all the tasks I'm trying to perform. We have an awards banquet tomorrow night that I've been working on, so things should slow down at least a little bit after that, for a couple of weeks anyway.

I also have a laundry list of projects to do at home, and lately most nights I've been too tired from work to get any of them done. I'm planning to put my house on the market this year and have several things to get done prior to that, but at the rate I'm going it may be November before the "For sale" sign goes up.

In the midst of all my seemingly endless to-do lists, it's sometimes difficult to take the time to slow down, breathe and just be instead of constantly doing. "Be still and know that I am God" is a very challenging verse when you feel like you'll never get all your work done if you take a break. But I need to take that time to slow down and rest in God and trust Him to help me get everything done today that needs to be done today. The rest can wait til another day. He is, after all, the ultimate Multi-tasker, and He can do exceedingly more than I can imagine.

2 comments:

Kelley said...

It's a challenge for me too. I think it's a challenge for all of us or the Lord wouldn't have made a special effort to tell us to "Be Still".

Jodie Wolfe said...

I could use your help. I am trying to survey as many women as possible to find out what ten struggles they face as a Christian woman. If you have a few minutes, I would love your input on my blog in regards to the ten struggles that Christian women face. Thank you!

Please pass this on to your friends as well.