Friday, March 21, 2008

Peace in Where We Are

A friend of mine has planned a night of fellowship between me and some of my single friends and some of her married friends. It's meant to be a night of encouragement for all of us, of eating good food and sharing and lifting each other up. I was so looking forward to it.

Then I found out yesterday that I have to attend a meeting that same night. It's actually a meeting that I've been looking forward to, and it has already been rescheduled a couple of times, and now they've decided to have it on the same night as the fellowship night.

I was bummed about it at first, but quickly concluded that I'm meant to be at the meeting more than at the night with my friends. And I feel at peace about that. Yes, I'm still disappointed about not being able to attend both, but I know that God wants me at this meeting.

There is great peace that comes in knowing that where you is where God wants you to be at that moment. That doesn't mean that we have to like where we are, but we can be content and at rest in the assurance that wherever He has us is for our own good and for His glory.

I wish I could say that this is something that comes naturally to me, this contentment with being wherever God has me. Even the apostle Paul said that he had learned the secret of being content, so I'm not sure that it's a natural instinct for anyone. And I admit that I still struggle with this at times. There are times when I'm frustrated over where I am (whether a physical location or a point in my life), times when I wish I were elsewhere. But I'm thankful for the reminders that I'm at this particular place in my life for a reason, and that He intends to use that place and circumstance for good.

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Me too. Life long struggle.