Thursday, April 10, 2008

Attitude Adjustment

This has been a particularly frustrating week at work, not in dealing with the work itself, but in dealing with some co-workers. Normally our little staff is a very close-knit group that works extremely well together. Lately, however, a great amount of negativity has infiltrated our little work family. This week emotions have been running high, with an exceeding amount of sensitivity, complaining, gossip, and overall bad attitudes running rampant.

I wish I could say that I was staying out of it all, but that's not the case. I've found myself developing a bad attitude over others' bad attitudes! I've complained about the complainers and engaged in gossip and overall have not been a positive presence at work this week.

Things came to a head last night when I went to my Wednesday night class. We spent a few minutes reflecting on several thought-provoking questions about our day and ways that we exhibited the fruit of the Spirit (as well as ways that we did not). I was humbled to realize that I was very hard-pressed to think of a time that day that I had exhibited fruit of the Spirit, although I could name plenty of times when I showed that I was lacking that fruit. It's so easy to point the finger at others and blame them for a bad day, but ultimately it comes down to my attitude, not theirs, that determines my outlook.

While I wish that God would change the hearts and attitudes of those I work with, really it's me that needs the attitude adjustment. I'm thankful for His forgiveness and mercy, that He gives me a fresh start and that today can be different from yesterday. And I am determined that today WILL be different. My attitude does not have to be dependent on the attitude of others. I can show joy and peace in the midst of a stressful work environment. I can refrain from joining in the complaining, gossip and other sinful activity. When I allow the Holy Spirit to work in me, all things--including a better attitude!--are possible!

No comments: